If your dog is not accustomed to wearing training collars, or using ultrasonic training, it's best to introduce training with the BarkWise Complete steadily. Remember the number one goal is to have your dog choose not to bark, rather than hear the sound.
- Acclimation Period. Have your dog wear the collar, without turning it on, for the full first day. This allows your dog to become familiar with the weight and feel of it. This also allows the owner to make sure the collar fits correctly.
Begin Training. While not totally necessary for success, it's helpful for some dogs to begin training on Remote Only mode. Do this by having the REM switch on the control panel flipped downward. This gives you total control of the training. This is important because:
- Some dogs respond better when their owner is present.
- You can combine the punishment of the collar with a stern command, and give treats when the dog stops barking.
- Consistency is Key. Just like teaching them to sit or roll over, it does take practice. Some bad barking habits are really ingrained. Stick with it and don't get too discouraged.
- Give Time for Rest. Breaking bad habits and learning new skills is tiring work (you'd think barking would be enough, huh?). We recommend only wearing the collar during the training periods, or times of the day when barking is the worst. This helps your dog learn that the collar is a punishment for the barking, and not just something that's around all the time regardless.
Dog Silencer Featured on KXXV Channel 25 in Waco, TXOriginally aired on KXXV Channel 25 in Waco, TX, this tells the story of a local resident's challenges with the constant barking of her neighbor's dog.
Pro Tips for Using the Dog Silencer
With these tips, you can use the Dog Silencer® like a Good Life Bark Control Expert. Our help doesn't end here either. If you have any questions, please ask us! All dogs are different: Sensitive dogs can respond to the device in a couple of days. Other bigger, bolder dogs can take longer to train. Even up to 2 to 3 weeks. Consistency is key, and make sure the Dog Silencer is only activating when the dog barks. Focus on the training: The Dog Silencer is a training device. The dog must learn that the sound emitted by the Dog Silencer...
Another Satisfied CustomerThere's nothing better than when someone sends us a review letting us know how one of our products helped change their life for the better. It's a nice reminder that our work is doing something good in the world.
The Shocking Truth About Shock CollarsShock collars can be painful and harmful to your dog and there are other more humane options available to train your best friend to not bark so much.
3 Ways Dog Barking Can Ruin Your Day
Dog barking in the middle of the night can ruin your day. Studies show that If you don't get enough sleep you might be feeling ruff the next day. The 3:00am wake up call It's the middle of the night and bark, bark, bark your neighbor's dog is at it again. Has this happened to you? If the answer is yes, you know how frustrating it can be to repeatedly not get a good night's sleep because your neighbor's are rude or just they don't get it. What can you do to stop the dog barking? Wish you could just...