If your dog is not accustomed to wearing training collars, or using ultrasonic training, it's best to introduce training with the BarkWise Complete steadily. Remember the number one goal is to have your dog choose not to bark, rather than hear the sound.
- Acclimation Period. Have your dog wear the collar, without turning it on, for the full first day. This allows your dog to become familiar with the weight and feel of it. This also allows the owner to make sure the collar fits correctly.
Begin Training. While not totally necessary for success, it's helpful for some dogs to begin training on Remote Only mode. Do this by having the REM switch on the control panel flipped downward. This gives you total control of the training. This is important because:
- Some dogs respond better when their owner is present.
- You can combine the punishment of the collar with a stern command, and give treats when the dog stops barking.
- Consistency is Key. Just like teaching them to sit or roll over, it does take practice. Some bad barking habits are really ingrained. Stick with it and don't get too discouraged.
- Give Time for Rest. Breaking bad habits and learning new skills is tiring work (you'd think barking would be enough, huh?). We recommend only wearing the collar during the training periods, or times of the day when barking is the worst. This helps your dog learn that the collar is a punishment for the barking, and not just something that's around all the time regardless.
Bark Control with Puppies“Consider options like ThunderShirts, CBD treats, vibration collars, crate training, and extra exercise. A tired puppy is not a barking puppy!”
Returning to Work — What do our Pets think?Our pets may become confused and anxious as we get back to in-person work. Here's how you can help your best friend during this time.
WarmPet™ Heated Pet Mat
Our WarmPet Heated Pet Mat uses safe and gentle infrared heat to keep your pet comfortable all year long-indoors or outdoors. Its ultra flexible, carbon-film design can easily be placed inside, below, or on top of your pet's bed to keep them warm and cozy all day and night. This can help ease your pet's arthritis, inflammation, and other joint problems while keeping your pet comfortable.
Healthy Roots Paws™ Calming Pet ProductsAs we get closer to New Year's Eve, right now is the time to think about how you can help keep your pets calm during the festivities.
Opening the OnGuard Battery Compartment
We understand that the battery compartment on our OnGuard handheld training device can be somewhat tricky to open, and we are here to help. You'll see on the bottom of the device that there are 2 arrows near the slide. While holding the OnGuard with one hand, use your other thumb to move that slide in the direction of the arrow marked with a number 1. While the slide is in that position, push it towards the arrow marked with a number 2. Then you'll be able to flip that bottom piece up and insert your batteries.